Guide to Foreign Graduates (Category C) for Application for the Work Permit for Foreigners in China（NEW VERSION）
(working in China above 90 (excluding) days)
u Scope of Application
Foreign graduates referred to in this Guide are categorized into international students and foreign graduates from any of overseas universities, specifically:
(I) International students
1. International students from any of the universities in Shanghai with a bachelor or above degree who intend to work in China (Shanghai) Pilot Free Trade Zone, Zhangjiang National Innovation Demonstration Zone, Lingang Special Area, or Hongqiao Central Business District, or to be employed by any organization included in Shanghai sci-tech innovation occupation list.
2. Outstanding international students from any of universities in China with a master or above degree who intend to work in Shanghai.
(II) Foreign graduates from any of overseas universities
1. Outstanding foreign graduates from any of world-known foreign universities with a bachelor or above degree, intending to work in China (Shanghai) Pilot Free Trade Zone, Zhangjiang National Innovation Demonstration Zone, Lingang Special Area, or Hongqiao Central Business District, or to be employed by any organization included in Shanghai sci-tech innovation occupation list.
2. Outstanding foreign graduates from any of world-known universities with a master or above degree, intending to work in Shanghai.
u Applicable Objects
l Basic Requirements for Employers
1. Employers shall be established by law with actual business premises, pay taxes and social insurances according to law, without serious illegal and dishonest acts; the employment of foreigners shall be for special needs and the appropriate candidates are in short supply domestically in China; the salary or remuneration for those foreigners shall not be lower than the local minimum wage.
2. For pre-approval by the industry competent authority by law, it shall be approved.
l Basic Requirements for Applicants
1. Aged 18 and healthy.
2. Having obtained corresponding academic qualification, degree and professional skills for work.
3. Having no bad behavior records at school.
4. No criminal record.
5. Having graduated within two years.
6. Having a specific clearly-defined employer in normal operation and conduction of activities by law within the administration of Shanghai. The employer shall offer a job that fits in with his/her major. The salary shall be no lower than the average of local urban employees.
7. Having valid passports or any other equivalent international travel certificates, and having entered China with other visas or a valid residence permit in China.
8. Other conditions prescribed by laws and regulations.
u Legal Basis
1. Implementing Opinions on Further Deepening the Reform of the Systems and Mechanisms for Talent Development and Speeding up the Construction of Science and Technology Innovation Center with Global Influence (No. 19  of the CPC Shanghai Municipal Committee) issued by the CPC Shanghai Municipal Committee and Shanghai Municipal People’s Government.
2. Notice on Comprehensively Implementing the System of the Foreigner’s Work Permit in China (No. 40  of the State Administration of Foreign Experts Affairs) issued by the State Administration of Foreign Experts Affairs, the Ministry of Human Resources and Social Security, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, and the Ministry of Public Security.
3. Opinions on the Implementation of Preferential Policies to Boost High-quality Development of Lingang Special Area of the China (Shanghai) Pilot Free Trade Zone (No. 20  of the CPC Shanghai Municipal Committee) issued by the CPC Shanghai Municipal Committee and Shanghai Municipal People’s Government.
u Standards for Documents Provided
1. All paper versions of original documents and the translated versions must be electronically uploaded to the Service System for Foreigners Working in China.
2. Non-Chinese credentials shall be translated into Chinese and stamped with the official seal of the employer (except for passports and international travel certificates).
3. The applicant shall submit the originals of all the documents uploaded at the reception window for verification.
u Documents Required
1. Application Form for Foreigner’s Work Permit: Before entry in China, fill in the online application - print it out - send to the foreign graduates for signing (copy or fax if needed) – stamp it with the official seal of the employer or the authorized department - upload it to the system.
2. Employment Intention Letter: The employer, content of work, working hours, intended salary, etc. shall be specified and both parties shall sign on it.
3. Employment Reason Report: The official seal of the employer is required.
4. Complete CV in Chinese: Including education background and internship or work experience, and the official seal of the employer is required.
5. The highest degree (academic qualification) certificate and certification documents: If the highest degree (academic qualification) is issued by a foreign university, it shall be certified by a Chinese embassy or consulate in the related country, that country’s embassy or consulate in China, or a Chinese academic certification institution; if the highest degree (academic qualification) is issued in Hong Kong, Macao or Taiwan, it shall be certified by a Chinese academic certification institution or notarized by the local notary office; if the highest degree (academic qualification) is issued in mainland China, only the original degree (academic qualification) certificate shall be provided.
In particular, foreign graduates from any of overseas universities shall graduate from overseas high-level universities based on the list of overseas high-level universities published by the Service System for Foreigners Working in China of the State Bureau of Foreign Experts Affairs.
6. Certificate of no criminal record and certification documents: A certificate of no criminal record shall be issued by the police, the security department, or the court of the nationality state or the place of habitual residence of the applicant and certified by a Chinese embassy or consulate in the related country, or that country’s embassy or consulate in China (the place of habitual residence refers to the place (not on the territory of China) where the applicant lives for at least one consecutive year after the applicant left his/her native country); a certificate of no criminal record issued in Hong Kong, Macao or Taiwan shall be notarized by the local notary public office. A certificate of no criminal record issued within six months is valid. Personal declarations of no criminal record, for declaration only, are not accepted. A certificate of no criminal record issued by a foreign embassy or consulate in China which is non-declaration of no criminal record can be accepted without further certification.
In principle, with a valid work-type residence permit, the foreigner may be exempted from providing a certificate of no criminal record; if the foreign graduate changes his/her employer, the Bureau of Exit and Entry Administration of the Ministry of Public Security has cancelled his/her work-type residence permit and changed into a stay permit, or if the foreign graduate has not left China and his/her work-type residence permit has been cancelled within one month, he/she may also be exempted from providing a certificate of no criminal record.
7. Certificate of no bad behavior at school of foreign graduates (foreign graduates from any of overseas universities may be exempted from provision): The seal of the school or the Security Department or the International Students Department is required.
8. Foreign graduates with a bachelor or above degree working in China (Shanghai) Pilot Free Trade Zone, Zhangjiang National Innovation Demonstration Zone, Lingang Special Area or Hongqiao Central Business District shall provide a work certificate issued by the Management Committee of China (Shanghai) Pilot Free Trade Zone, Zhangjiang National Innovation Demonstration Zone, Lingang Special Area, or Hongqiao Central Business District.
9. Foreign graduate’s valid passport or resident permit for an international student; Information page of the passport or of the international travel certificate. The valid period of the passport shall be no less than six months.
10. Certificate of physical examination: A certificate of verification on physical examination record for foreigners or a certificate of health examination issued within six months by China’s inspection and quarantine authority shall be provided. In applying for the Work Permit for Foreigners in China, foreigners with a valid work-type residence permit may be exempted from providing a certificate of physical examination.
11. Bareheaded and full-face photo taken within the last six months. The full-faced bareheaded electronic photo shall be frameless with a white background carrying the facial features clearly shown, and clean without any spots, flaws or ink defects. Hats or other head coverings are only allowed if worn for religious reasons without obscuring any facial features.
12. Outstanding foreign graduates shall submit academic performance certificates, indicating the excellent academic performance, with an average score of no less than 80 (hundred-mark system or equivalent) or above B+/B (grading system).
13. Cancellation letter or leaving certificate: If the foreign graduate changes his/her employer or position within one year after graduation, the existing work permit shall be cancelled within the valid period of the Work Permit for Foreigners. In applying for the Work Permit for Foreigners, the foreigner who normally terminates the contract and changes his/her employer in China within one year, the leaving certificate of the previous employer shall be submitted.
14. Other documents: Documents provided as required by the reception authority or the decision-making authority.
1. The validity period of foreign graduates working in Shanghai for the first time is one year. Upon expiration of the term of employment, if the employer intends to continue employment, the examination and approval procedures must be handled as required, and the term shall not exceed five years. If the individual income tax paid by foreign graduates is lower than that payable for the intended salary or the salary offered by the employer is lower than the prescribed standard, the Work Permit for Foreigners shall not be extended.
2. The quota management shall apply to the employment of foreign graduates in Shanghai.
3. The reception authority or the decision-making authority may request the employer to submit corrected version if there is any discrepancy between the Chinese translation and the original.
4. For provisions on consular legalization of documents, please refer to the website of China Consular Affairs (at http://cs.mfa.gov.cn/) or contact the Embassy/Consulate of China.
5. Policy Release
For policies, guides, and some sample forms and commitments for Foreigner’s Work Permit in China, please refer to the website of Science and Technology Commission of Shanghai Municipality (Shanghai Administration of Foreign Experts Affairs) at http://stcsm.sh.gov.cn/wzj/ and the website of Shanghai R&D Public Service Platform at http://www.496768.com
6. The applicant who has applied for the Work Permit for Foreigners in the Service System for Foreigners Working in China and has uploaded his/her highest degree (academic qualification) certificate and work qualification certificate may not submit his/her highest degree (academic qualification) in reapplication.
7. Those not qualified for handling the Work Permit for Foreigners but have entered China shall handle it as a new applicant for the Notification Letter of Foreigner’s Work Permit in China.
8. The employer shall receive the Work Permit for Foreigners at the reception window within ten days upon approval online.
9. Those professional service agencies authorized with the procedure of application, extension, changing, cancellation, or re-submission shall submit the Letter of Authorization of the employer, in which the authorized entity, the authorized person and his/her ID number and telephone number, and the authorized matters shall be clearly specified. That is, the professional service agency, the authorized person and the corresponding authorized matters shall be clearly specified.
u Examination and Approval Period
1. Preliminarily review period:
Five working days (after the complete and qualified documents are submitted)
2. Review period:
Ten working days (after the original paper documents are confirmed at the reception window)
In case of special circumstances requiring an extension of time limit, the reception authority or the decision-making authority shall handle the matter as appropriate.
u Reception way and time
l Reception way
1. Reception at the window
Reception Department: Shanghai R&D Public Service Platform (Shanghai Scientific and Technological Talents Development Center/Shanghai Service Center for Foreigners Working in China)
Address: Windows 1-4, 1F 77 Meiyuan Road Tianmu (W) Sub-district, Jing’an District
Windows 17-19 (Single Window for Foreigner’s Work Permit and Residence Permit), 3F 1500 Minsheng Road Huamu Sub-district, Pudong New Area
For other sites, please refer to the list of names and addresses of the handling authorities shown on the website of Science and Technology Commission of Shanghai Municipality (Shanghai Administration of Foreign Experts Affairs) at http://stcsm.sh.gov.cn/wzj/, and the website of Shanghai R&D Public Service Platform at http://www.496768.com
2. Online reception
Please directly access to the Service System for Foreigners Working in China http://fwp.safea.gov.cn;or access to it via the government affairs service platform of the Ministry of Science and Technology at https://fuwu.most.gov.cn
l Reception time
窗口受理时间 / Window reception time:
周一至周四 / Monday to Thursday
周五 / Friday
取号时间 / Number taking time:
周一至周四 / Monday to Thursday
周五 / Friday
This Guide is made and executed in both Chinese and English. In case of any discrepancy between the two languages, Chinese version shall prevail.